Nowadays, companies are looking to get the maximum profit by investing just enough, and for this they need a strong visibility on the Internet, in order to increase traffic to their website. This goal could not be achieved without SEO (Search Engine Optimisation), which will help us to position ourselves among the top positions in search engines organically.
However, for our SEO strategy to work, we must take into account a number of factors. Among them are the number of characters when filling in certain information about our articles. Read on to find out the importance of limited characters.
Importance of SEO
When we talk about SEO we refer to Search Engine Optimisation (Search Engine Optimisation), and it is another name that we can attribute to web positioning. It consists of techniques that are applied to the usability of a web page, its contents and links in order to improve its position in the search results on the internet.
The results are long term and this is the reason why it is necessary to have suitable professionals to develop effective strategies. The objectives developed by SEO to achieve positioning are:
- Define keywords: All those words that users will use to search for information about the content, products or services you offer.
- Improve the visibility of your web page: Search engines use algorithms to position web pages. These are constantly evolving, changing constantly. However, some aspects that influence them will help to give you visibility. The algorithms used on your page that you can manipulate and those used by other pages through links that allow you to browse the web are just a few examples of aspects that influence the importance of web positioning.
- Increasing the number of visits: It helps you to increase qualified traffic through search engines, in other words: it helps you to be visited by people who are really interested in what you offer.
- Achieve a conversion: That they subscribe, that they buy a product or service, that they use an application created, etc. All this can also be enhanced with email marketing, supported by a good web positioning.
SEO positioning is equally important whether you are new to this world and are taking your first steps with an online project, or you have already had your website for some time.
Internet is a huge ocean in which there is a lot of competition and the chances of your company being found are very low. If you are not well positioned you will not appear in the first search results and this will worsen your sales.
In order to carry out this strategy, the first thing to do is to know the language that marks web positioning and the tools to improve it.
When we refer to the language that marks the web positioning, we talk about all those steps that we must take into account when configuring our website. In this post we will focus on the importance of counting the characters to improve our SEO.
what are character counters?
A word counter is nothing more than a simple web application whose purpose is to tell you the length, in characters or words, of a given text that you have previously entered.
This type of counters have quite common web utilities in the webmaster world; for example, when analysing the content of the competition, one of the things we should evaluate is "how long" are the articles placed in the first positions of Google. This way we will know what type of content Google wants in the first positions in terms of length.
Depending on the keyword you use, the search engine tends to place results with content that is sometimes long, sometimes medium and sometimes quite short. This will depend on the number of searches for that keyword in Google.
It is a common misconception that "the longer a piece of content is, the more chances it has of ranking", but this is not the case. As the Inbound Marketing strategy explains, the quality of our content prevails over quantity, so we should pay more attention to the quality of our posts than to their length.
Examples of SEO character counters
- ToolsSEO: it is a totally free SEO tool to count words and characters that will help you to know the length of your texts in order to know how to improve them.
- Tictac solutions: is a totally free and very complete counter, which will help you to know the length of your title, meta-description, URL and your keywords, as well as recommending the most appropriate length for each of the above to serve as a guide.
- Character counter: is another free tool very similar to the previous one. It guides you through a limited number of characters and words to optimise your texts in relation to Google. With this counter you will be able to know the length of your title, meta description and keyword.
The vast majority of these counters have set the optimal number of characters to improve your SEO positioning. For the title they usually recommend between 50-65 so that Google does not shorten your titles when they are displayed in the search engine as it has a maximum of 70 characters. In terms of the meta description, Google only shows 160 characters, so it would be advisable to have a description of between 150-155 characters, in which you must include your keyword to make it easier to find your article. Keep in mind that for your positioning also influences the length of the URL, which must be descriptive for both users and search engines, but it is recommended that it has a maximum length of 75 characters, including the https://. And finally, 2 to 3 keywords or phrases are sufficient and up to a maximum of 10. Make sure the words you choose are related to the topic.
It is very important to understand that the process of positioning your website in search engines is not a one-day task. It is necessary to update it and look for ways to optimise it on a daily basis. This way you will achieve that your website is located among the first positions in the search results.