We already know that SEO strategy is a set of tactics and actions designed to improve the visibility of a website in the search results of search engines, such as Google.
Steps to creating an effective SEO strategy are:
- Identify keywords orphrases relevant to your business or website. Use keyword research tools to determine which terms are most popular and relevant to your content.
- Provide a good, user-friendly design. Search engines like websites that are easy to navigate and have a clear, logical structure.
- Add quality, regularly updated content. Search engines value websites that have relevant, quality content and are updated regularly.
- Use appropriate titles and heading tags on your pages. Titles and heading tags are important because they provide information about the content of the page and help search engines understand what the page is about.
- Add metadata to your pages - Metadata is information that is added to web pages to provide search engines with more information about the content of the page.
- Use quality external links. External links to other quality websites can help improve the authority and relevance of your website.
- Monitor and analyse your results. Use SEO tracking and analysis tools to evaluate your website's performance and to determine which strategies are working best.
The hierarchy of SEO needs refers to the importance of addressing certain aspects of SEO in a specific order. According to this hierarchy, the basics of SEO need to be addressed first before you can move on to more advanced tactics.
The levels of the hierarchy of SEO needs include:
- Accessibility: Make sure search engines can crawl and index your site effectively.
- Content: Make sure you have relevant and interesting content on your site.
- Keywords: Use relevant keywords in your content to improve your ranking in search results.
- Authority: Get quality external links to your site to increase your authority and relevance.
- Usability: Make sure your site is easy to use and navigate to improve the user experience.
It is important to note that this hierarchy is not an exhaustive list of all SEO tactics, but rather a guide to determine which aspects you should prioritise when creating an effective SEO strategy.
how to allow Google to index your pages?
Another important issue in optimising your SEO strategy is how you can get Google to index your pages. The most important function of on-page SEO is to allow search engines to crawl and index your content to increase the visibility of your site online.
- Make sure your site is available for crawling: You must allow Googlebot to access your pages and files in order to index them. You can do this through the "robots.txt" file or through the "meta robots" tag in the HTML code of each page. If you have a CMS platform (such as WordPress) there are plugins that will make it easier for you to set this up.
- Use tags and titles correctly: Make sure your pages have unique titles and meta descriptive tags that are relevant to the content of each page. This will help Google understand the content of your site and display it in the search results appropriately.
- Use internal and external links: Internal and external links are also important to help Google understand your site's content. Use internal links to link your pages together and external links to reference relevant content on other pages.
- Upload a sitemap.xml file: A sitemap.xml file is a list of the pages on your site that you want Google to index. You can create a sitemap.xml file manually or use a tool to generate it automatically, then upload it to your site and submit it to Google through the Google Search Console tool.
- Use the Google Search Console tool: Google Search Console is a free tool from Google that allows you to see how Google is crawling and indexing your site. It also allows you to submit sitemap.xml files and receive notifications of problems or errors on your site. It is important to use this tool to ensure that your site is properly indexed and optimised for search engines.
Elements of SEO
We must not forget the elements that help us to position the web page, such as: the header tags, the title tag or the external links.
Heading tags are HTML tags that are used to provide information about the content of a page and help search engines understand the topic of the page. Heading tags are divided into 6 levels, from the most important heading tag (H1) to the least important heading tag (H6). It is important to use appropriate heading tags to provide hierarchical information about the content of the page and improve readability for users.
The title tag is another important HTML tag used to provide a title for a page. This tag is displayed in the browser tab and in search results, so it is important to use an attractive and relevant title tag to attract users to your site.
External links are links from your website to other web pages. External links are important for SEO because they help to improve the authority and relevance of your site. It is important to make sure that external links are of quality and relevant to your content to get the most benefit possible.
Thanks to these tips, we can improve search engine visibility and increase traffic. Good SEO optimisation increases your site's visibility in Google search results, which means more people can find your site when they search for terms related to your business. In addition, it is more cost-effective in the long run. Although SEO may require some initial effort, it can be a very cost-effective long-term strategy. Once your site ranks well in search results, you are less likely to have to invest in advertising to attract new customers.