have you taken the temperature of your business? Are you one of those who have taken the plunge into e-commerce during the pandemic? Or is it just an idea you have in your mind?
Whatever your case, you're probably interested in knowing how to create an online shop. After all, it's all the rage right now, like a trend that's here to stay. And no wonder, considering the eCommerce statistics in Spain: it is the fourth largest eCommerce market in Europe, supermarkets and technology shops have increased their traffic during the pandemic, online shopping grew by 65% in the first quarter of 2021, etc. None of this is a coincidence.
Whether out of fear of contagion, shopping convenience or mere curiosity, consumers have increased online shopping over physical shopping. And that has forced many (if not all) retailers to rethink their approach and methodology. If you are a physical retailer, you have to make the leap to the online world.
If you are online, you must improve your strategy and expand your presence in the channels where your audience is, giving rise to omnichannel shopping. And if you do not have a business, this is a good opportunity to launch a digital venture through an online shop.
In short, you need to embrace change.
The e-commerce explosion
So, if you're wondering why you should set up an online shop, what better way to answer your question than by using real data on the growth of eCommerce in Spain?
COVID-19 has had a strong impact on online shopping during and after the pandemic, and to prove it to you, we've compiled some interesting statistics from Expansión:
- Spain has 22.5 million online shoppers, 72% of the internet population aged 16-70.
- Most consumers combine physical shopping with the digital channel, but it is significant that 23% of those surveyed buy goods and services exclusively online, an increase of seven percentage points over the previous year.
- One in two respondents increased the frequency of e-shopping, and 45% of people have started buying physical products online, something they did not do before the pandemic.
- Many consumers have used online supermarkets for the first time to stock their pantries.
- 1 million Spanish households buy their groceries online, accounting for 3.6% of the total.
Many SMEs have been encouraged by the pandemic to open an online shop, some have started selling their products on marketplaces such as Amazon, eBay or Aliexpress, while others have decided to open their own online shop using tools such as WooCommerce, Shopify or PrestaShop.
Proof of the increase in online shopping has been the initiatives of El Corte Inglés, which was forced to open a new logistics warehouse to meet the demand for its online sales, and Mercadona, which created a warehouse for online service in April 2020.
Digital transformation knows no borders or sectors.
Creating an online shop, a strategic decision?
As digital transformation expert Emérito Martínez would say, we are not in an era of change, but in a change of era characterised by the digitalisation of everything around us.
Forced by the encirclement, millions of people around the world have put aside their doubts to buy online, making eCommerce one of the big winners during the pandemic. The fever has even forced SMEs to incorporate technology and adopt communication tools and a presence on social networks. In short, the crisis has finally settled what had been known for many years in terms of digitisation.
The expansion of e-commerce is not only linked to the progress of digital platforms and access opportunities for consumers, but is also driven by the change in habits during the pandemic. The measures of confinement and social distance have brought about major changes in the way we consume. Among other things, online shopping has increased, which has been a lifeline for many businesses.
As a result, businesses that have decided to open an online shop have gained significant advantages:
- Greater control and management of online stock.
- Increased visibility.
- Increased loyalty.
- Reduction of some costs.
- 24/7/365 availability.
- Better knowledge of your potential customers.
- Customer service.
- Accessible anywhere and at any time.
- Online stock control.
- International expansion.
- No geographical limits.
- Provides greater convenience for buyers.
- Greater flexibility in payment methods.
- Possibility of faster growth.
Now, your sales can multiply.
thinking of going digital? The conclusions
If you are thinking of creating an online shop but don't dare to take the leap because of the investment it might entail, don't worry!
Creating an online shop is easier than you think thanks to platforms such as Wix eCommerce or WooCommerce, among many others.
Here are some basic steps to create your first online shop:
- Choose the name and domain of your eCommerce, it is essential and must be easy to remember.
- Choose a good hosting company, the place where your online shop will be hosted.
- Choose a quality Dropshipper, i.e. yourDropshipper must deliver the products that your customers buy in the shop directly to their home.
- Use a CMS for e-commerce: Prestashop, WordPRess, Magento, Oscommerce, Zencart, Opencart... There are many options.
- Customise the products you offer, as well as the descriptions that go with them. You are different, show it!
- Add all possible payment methods with your potential customer in mind. Remember that a satisfied customer is one who finds their favourite payment method when paying for a purchase.
- Create a blog that complements the shop, it will positively influence the SEO positioning of the same.
- Make use of online advertising.
do you have doubts about the process of creating an online shop? Do you suspect you need one but you're not quite sure? Do you still don't know where to start?
At Occam Digital Agency, we help you to resolve your doubts