You've probably come across a stunning website that you've loved and wondered where you could get a similar template, right? You start to imagine what your company's website would look like with a similar design, but it's very likely that the template doesn't even exist. Do you know why?
Because it is most likely a custom-made development, which would explain why the page fits perfectly and is so attractive. But what is custom-made design? What are its advantages and disadvantages? Is it possible to have an exclusive design for you?
Come and find out in this post.
what is custom web development?
As its name suggests, it is a web design created from scratch and thought only for a certain brand, with every detail thought directly for it. It has nothing to do with the typical WordPress template. You will find thousands of sites with the same characteristics. But being different will be the only thing that saves you from the abyss. If you are lucky enough to differentiate yourself with an exclusive design, don't ever change.
why do you think all successful brands have a well-done website? If you've started researching options and informing yourself about the whole thing, you've probably come across two alternatives: custom development vs. WordPress. What's the difference?
Custom development and WordPress: which is better for your business?
As the business world changes at the speed of light, as we have increasingly demanding consumers and as the COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated the predilection for e-commerce, having an online presence is a vital challenge for brands.
And a first step to increasing visibility and attracting potential audiences is to have a website. In addition to housing the basic information about your business, the site will serve as a support and showcase for your products and services.
Take note of WordPress features:
- It is an easy to use CMS (Content Mangement System) that allows you to have a simple, basic and uncomplicated website.
- Creating a website with WordPress is very easy and has infinite customisation possibilities.
- It has different templates to adapt the design to your needs, but its functionalities are limited, so if you want to include new ones, you will have to integrate new plugins (Yoast SEO, Jetpack, Akismet...).
- It uses a very intuitive interface that can be managed by the client without the need for great computer skills.
- Its visualisation is adapted to mobile devices, so it has a responsive design.
And now, the features of the customised design:
- We start from scratch. It is an exclusive and differentiating development designed exclusively for your company.
- The developer takes into account at all times the client's opinion to understand their needs.
- It is a 100% customised design focused on the company's target audience.
- The company has full control over the project and can modify it whenever it wishes.
which option best suits your needs? Did you know that there are designers dedicated exclusively to the creation of templates?
Advantages and disadvantages of custom development
Although WordPress is the most popular CMS and its intuitive nature allows websites to be created and launched quickly, custom development has become the best option for many businesses due to its many advantages:
- Differential value. Your web design is unique, it allows you to differentiate your image and presence with customisation. No other company is going to have the same design, and that's a big plus in this day and age. It will increase your attractiveness, favour the sex-appeal of your page and translate into a more satisfactory experience for the user.
- Design adjusted to your needs, even the most hidden ones. One of the main disadvantages of the most common and popular CMS is the limitation of their functionalities. With custom development, this problem disappears. All the actions and functionalities you need are implemented and the programmer's task will speed up future implementations of the site. Perfectly adjusted to your most specific needs!
- Easy to manage. You will have the elements you need and you will dispense with all those you are not going to use, which will facilitate the daily tasks of publishing content. Its use does not require being a guru in the management of the website.
- Increased efficiency: Your page will perform efficiently by eliminating unnecessary resources, which improves loading time, guarantees long-term positioning, etc. The programmer will only use the necessary code and style.
- Optimisation: What about search engines? Custom development allows you to have the necessary code to load the resources of the page. You will improve the loading speed by having a lighter website. This is a very important feature for Google's algorithm when it comes to positioning you.
- Technical support: Always at your disposal to avoid any mishap or solve any problems that may arise at any time.
The saying goes that "all that glitters is not gold", so custom development also has some easily correctable disadvantages:
- It can fall into errors if it is not developed with professional software and the right staff.
- The price is higher compared to websites launched with a popular CMS, such as WordPress.
Custom development is designed for you. To increase your possibilities. To differentiate yourself. And if you have had a page based on templates, surely you have found yourself in the situation of wanting to introduce new sections of content. To do so, you have used the installation of plugins. And that slows down and increases the weight of the site even more.
At Occam Agencia Digital we are committed to custom development. Tell us your doubts and find out which is the best option for you!