have youever wondered if there is an alternative to YouTube? Well, the answer is yes, and this is where we find Vimeo.
In this article we tell you what is Vimeo, and what are the similarities and differences it has with its main competitor.
what is vimeo?
Vimeo is a social network based on the publication of all types of multimedia content in video. This platform was launched in 2004, and currently has some 200 million users, mostly professionals and companies, to create, share and transmit videos.
This social network stands out for its high quality and high resolution videos, as well as not having advertisements at the start of playback. It not only serves to consume and upload audiovisual content, but also works as a streaming service, inviting viewers to join the platform, comment on videos and exchange ideas with other users of the platform .
The main differentiator with other similar platforms is its quality, there is no advertising, no time limit on their videos. These features are what have made this platform very popular among many professionals, such as film producers, musical artists or content creators. For its high quality many have chosen this medium to publicise their work.
Main features of Vimeo
The first, and surely the one you are asking yourself the most: is it free? Yes, it is, but it has a Premium version. The free account does not allow access to live broadcasts, which means that the user has to pay a subscription to access them. In addition, in this version the storage is limited, you can not upload videos that exceed 500mb per week. While in the paid or Premium account, the weekly limit is 20gb.
One of the features that users like the most is that it allows users to play and upload high quality videos, which is why it is widely used by professionals, because they can broadcast their work without losing quality.
There is no length limit, added to the high definition, they are an ideal combination for people who want to offer online courses through a simple platform.
This social network works with an internet connection, through the browser, if you use it from a computer, or from its application for mobiles and tablets, either Android or iOS.
But without a doubt, the most popular feature among users is that Vimeo does not have intrusive advertising, i.e., you don't need to wait for advertising to pass before you can enjoy a video. Perhaps this is the reason why it is gaining more and more fans.
Vimeo vs. Youtube
Vimeo's main competitor is the giant YouTube, so we bring you the main differences and similarities between the two social networks.
- Popularity: YouTube is obviously the more popular of the two, as it is known worldwide, while Vimeo may be the first time you know about it. YouTube has more than 1 billion users, compared to Vimeo's 170-200 million, so if you want to reach a lot of people you should go for YouTube. Besides, after Google, it is the second most popular search engine.
- Quality of the videos: Here we give the point in favour of Vimeo, as the quality of its videos is superior, so if your work is creative and you don't want to lose quality, you should use this platform. As we said before, this is the reason why Vimeo's audience is more professional than that of YouTube.
- Advertising: If you have ever watched a YouTube video, you have probably seen advertising at the beginning. This is a negative point, as many of these ads interrupt the viewing and, in addition, you have to wait to start playing the videos. Unless you pay for a Premium account, where you do not have to put up with the ads. On Vimeo there are no ads, you can watch the videos directly.
- Video length: YouTube only allows a maximum of 15 minutes, unless you are registered on the platform or have a verified account. Vimeo, on the other hand, whether you are registered or not, you can upload a video of any length you want, as long as it does not exceed 500 Mb, and if it does, you will have to pay for a Premium account.
- Audience: Vimeo is focused on professional use, it has less content and fewer users, but in general, its videos are more professional, creative and of high quality. YouTube has a more general profile, its use is more for entertainment or information search.
- Privacy: In terms of privacy there are also clear differences. Vimeo has the possibility of protecting videos with passwords and the possibility of sharing your video only with your followers, while YouTube has fewer possibilities, either the video is private or unlisted, i.e. it is not shown in search results and can only be seen if you have the link.
- Analytics: Both platforms offer their own analytics tools to help you with the performance of your videos. However, YouTube is ahead in this respect, as it offers the analytics tool for free even if you don't have a premium account, while on Vimeo you have to pay to enjoy this service.
In conclusion, Vimeo can be the alternative to YouTube if you want to target a more specialised audience, show your work and high quality content. You will not have the same reach, as the number of users is much smaller, but it may be of interest to you depending on your objective .
Both platforms are two well-designed and very functional video tools, but depending on your objective you will be more interested in one or the other. If you are looking to reach a lot of people and monetise through advertisements, your best option is YouTube. On the other hand, if you want to reach a very specific audience by showing your audiovisual work, go for Vimeo.
Now it's your turn to decide which one suits you best. We hope you've enjoyed this post!