App Store Optimisation is the name given to App Store Optimization, which is more or less the same as SEO on the web. ASO is the positioning of mobile apps in order to increase their visibility. It is responsible for positioning them in virtual shops such as Google Play or the App Store. Its goal is to increase the number of users who use and download your mobile app and to make it easier to find.
make a difference and differentiate yourself from the competition!
This is how ASO works
It has different processes, from keyword research to app landing page optimisation and monitoring. In ASO there are a few factors to work on to reach the top of your app's ranking:
- App name: This is the name of the application and must contain the main keywords for which we want to position ourselves and be found. It must be an eye-catching name, as far as possible.
- Description: It must include keywords, in the case of Google Play Store, and be used as a marketing weapon to attract users, in the case of Apple Store.
- Keywords: When we talk about Google Play, we don't have a 'keywords' field, while Apple does.
- Screenshots: All the screenshots we choose for the app's page are not going to make it rank better, but they will encourage users to download it to their devices.
- Icon: It is vital to capture the attention of users, as it is usually the first thing they notice, although it does not directly influence the ASO, so it is important to take care of its design.
- Developer's name: The developer's experience, seniority and name are very important, and if it includes the keyword, even better.
Installations: The more people download and install the application, the better positioned it will be. This can be done through different channels: from your own channels, to press releases, app campaigns, marketing on display networks, social networks, email marketing, blog reviews, etc.
- Uninstallations: When the rate of uninstallation of an app increases, it is a sign that something is not working properly. Stars, ratings and comments have an impact on the positioning of your app, but it is not advisable to buy them because Google could penalise you.
- Linkbuilding: Some say that links to the URL of a mobile app improve the ASO. Do you want us to check it?
The advantages of implementing ASO in your strategy
ASO is a relatively new discipline in digital marketing and very few brands take it into account when developing an app marketing strategy. That's why we want to show you its advantages:
- It collects user data, which allows us to improve customer needs and successfully meet them.
- It builds customer loyalty, providing greater engagement, visibility, downloads and installations of the mobile application.
- Increased brand awareness and visibility, as long as it is an objective for your company. Is it?
- It requires very little investment and complements perfectly with other tools: App Snippet Preview, Google Adwords... Do you know others?
- It increases sales, something we all want to achieve.
- It increases the popularity of the application, especially if it is an app advertised with paid advertising.
are you doing something to position your mobile app?
The keys to ASO and app marketing
ASO positioning is an increasingly common technique in the digital sphere and shows the relevance that the digital product or service sold by a brand will have. It is relevant to the Google Play Store and its main innovations are based on the rise of mobile telephony in recent years, especially with Android.
In this sense, ASO positioning works in the same way as SEO, using keywords, tags and appropriate titles to appear in the first search results. It is also influenced by the evaluations that users make of the application. In this way, we can summarise the keys to this positioning as follows:
- A short title (no more than 19 characters) and keywords (related to the service or functionality).
- A representative icon (transparent, attractive and coherent with the app).
- A pleasant and attractive description (minimum 350 characters). It must explain what it is for and include the keyword.
- Make screenshots of the application about the services and their possibilities.
- Associate a category (very important for Google to be able to classify it).
- Upload a video about how it works. YouTube can be a good place to publish this tutorial (about 1 minute). It will be of great help to your users.
How users discover new apps
The number of search engines to acquire an app has increased considerably. Advertising channels and word of mouth are two vital channels. Google Play, App Store, internet search engines, social networks, advertising, internet, TV and other applications are the main means of awareness of new apps.
For several years now, ASO has become the fuel of apps. Without installs, there is no positioning. In general, we find two types of installs: organic (those generated directly in the app shops without external influences) and non-organic (generated from a proprietary channel, such as mailing or social networks, or a paid channel, such as Apple Search Ads, Google AdWords, Native Ads or other).
did you know that investment in paid channels in App Marketing has a direct impact on ASO, unlike what happens with traditional web marketing?
ASO equals traffic, more conversion, more engagement.